Scarlet runner beans

Scarlet runner beans
Sacrlet runners -- I love these beans!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Newbie starts to see -- and taste! -- the fruits (or, veggies)

Ok, so I'm brand-new to this, never thought I could make things grow, a slave to the organic produce aisles and airplane apples from New Zealand. But being laid off (ok, I laid myself off) meant I had time on my hands --- and as a result, this has been my first official harvest season! Compared to most of the blogs in this blog hop I will admit I feel completely inadequate ... STILL ... as I was grocery shopping yesterday it was so great to completely by-pass the produce aisles ... and the juice aisle ... and the bread aisle ... ok, so I still buy milk, eggs, cheese and meat, but one conquest at a time I say! (Would love to have a goat ... pretty sure I can't make that work even though I have the space, I don't have a good enough fence.)
Next year chickens for sure, though I am still stumped on the coop. I know -- I have to learn to build -- but will someone puh-leez come give me a lesson? I know -- I will organize a chicken-coop building party and feed everyone. Any takers? Or are you all still so waaaaay ahead of me on this ... ! :-))) Thanks as always for the inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen people use a large, igloo shaped dog house that comes in two pieces for a small coop. You wouldn't even need to build anything, unless you need to put in a fence. I was that desperate, I was going to do it, but my hubs took pity on me and built me a coop.

    Good job on growing your own. It's awesome, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great! For our coop we just used our old dog house and added a door to keep the raccoons out. It doesn't need to be fancy! I've seen folks use small wooden sheds and add bars for roosts (I did, I bought 2 of those clost bar holders and added a dowel but you could use a tree branch) and you can add a box inside for nesting. It can literally be a small cardboard box that is a cozy area. There is no need to build something! Ours cost about $25 with hinges and scrap lumber to bump out a nest box since we already had the dog house. Have fun with it!

    xo, Sustainable Eats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I'm loving the encouragement here! I'm thinking ... definitely there's a way to make this work! :-)

    ReplyDelete