Scarlet runner beans

Scarlet runner beans
Sacrlet runners -- I love these beans!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

My piney grape tree

I've been at this house for 7 years now, and every year I've hacked back the two very old grape vines that live in our yard -- I didn't know how to build a grape arbor and they would twine up into our pine trees, which I thought was bad for the trees. Not so! Last year someone told me they don't hurt the trees at all, so I let them grow, and sure enough it was just fine. Around mid-September Martijn climbed into the pine tree and yelled down "Mom! It's a grape tree!" There were beautiful grape bunches hanging like ornaments from every branch.


So this year I let 'em rip -- the vines climbed all the way to the top, I would say 50 feet high. They're also in the maple tree, which is easier to climb, and Martijn harvested quite a few:
We tried juicing them but the skins made it too bitter. So I'm going to squeeze them through cheese-cloth, and see how that works. Anyone have any tips?

4 comments:

  1. Get a steamer juicer. Easy as pie, well......even easier and tastes great. Grapes/juice also tastes better after the first frost, which brings out the natural juices.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have never even heard of this -- I will look into it! We still have lots of purple grapes, and the green ones are just getting ripe ... by the way the cheesecloth squeeze worked great and it was very satisfying to smush up those grapes by hand! But messy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did grape juice last weekend - I mash them first then cook with the skins for 20 - 30 min. When that is done strain out the skins then return the juice to the pot and add sugar to taste. If you cook w/o the skins on you won't have any flavor! Thanks for linking in with simple lives thursday!
    xo, Sustainable Eats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! And definitely our squeezed grape juice didn't have the purple color ... maybe if I'd let the skins soak a little in the juice. I'll try this -- and thanks! I'm so happy to be connected to the Simple Thursdays community!

    ReplyDelete